Friday, 6 January 2012

The Holidays

After opening all the presents under the Christmas tree, and moving into the living room so that Fran could try out one of her presents, I heard a noise behind me. Before I would turn around to look, I got showered with a bowl of white Styrofoam balls that were supposed to be snow. So it turns out I got a white Christmas after all...
But before Christmas got going, I get to see an old friend who, when we went our separate ways, I never thought I would see again. My old Chilean brother Cristobal, who stayed in at our house on HIS exchange invited me to his house just an hour away. After he picked me up, we spent a weekend playing hockey, soccer and visiting Santiago. We also skyped with the family back home and gave them a great surprise. It was honestly one of the best weekends I've spent here, seeing my original Chilean brother.
Similar to Canada, the holidays in Chile are for spending time with your family, eating great food, giving gifts, sleeping in, and listening to Bon Iver. As a family, we ate a dinner that featured the largest turkey I have ever seen, let alone sown closed. After eating, we awaited 12:00am when we opened our presents and experienced a quick snowfall. Although I missed the cold, I missed the real Christmas tree, and I missed everyone back in Canada, it was a Christmas I don't think I will ever forget, and certainly won’t be organized inside my memory with the 15 other ones spent in the comfort of my own home. 
Of course after Christmas comes New Years. I'm used to the Fowler family New Years which are often spent somewhere in the heart of Canadian winter, and its a wild one if my parents even make it past 11pm. Let’s just say I made it a good deal past 12:00. First my family had a party with all the family friends where there was dancing and great food. Oh and being Canadian I had to watch the world Juniors Then at 12:00 we welcomed in the New Years and congratulated everyone. Later that night I went out with my friends and got as little sleep as possible. It also, was a New Years to remember.
They say that on a Rotary Exchange, Christmas is when you will miss your family the most. I found that I missed the small things the most, like the snow, the music and the feeling of being with your roots, with your real parents, your real sister, and in a place that you have been since the beginning. 
Happy Holidays Everyone!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home